Chocolate and mint ~ my FAVOURITE chocolate flavour combination. I cannot get enough of mint chocolate during the holidays. These Chocolate Cupcakes & Peppermint Buttercream hit that craving perfectly.
I cannot wait to make these for family and friends over the holidays. It’s hard to believe they are vegan. The cupcakes are moist and contain no oil, thanks to the pumpkin puree. These do not taste like pumpkin cupcakes at all, the cocoa powder hides the pumpkin puree very well. The pumpkin is only in this recipe for oil free moisture 🙂
The buttercream is so simple – it’s just softened vegan butter, cocoa powder, maple syrup, peppermint extract, and vanilla extract. You just whisk all that together and it’s good to go! Once prepared, you can set it in the fridge until the cupcakes are done baking and completely cooled down.
If you give these Chocolate Cupcakes & Peppermint Buttercream a try let me know in a comment below. I’m also on Youtube! Check out my channel for weekly recipe videos and good times ♡
Looking for more delicious recipes? Check out these Peanut Chai Granola Bars and Pumpkin Rice Krispie Squares.
Chocolate Cupcakes & Peppermint Buttercream
- Chocolate Cupcakes
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour (or AP Flour)
1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
1/4 Cup Coconut Sugar
1/2 Tsp Each Baking Powder & Baking Soda
1/4 Tsp Salt
1 Cup Pumpkin Puree
1/2 Cup Plant Based Milk
1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 Cup Chocolate Chips
- Chocolate Mint Buttercream
1/4 Cup Softened Vegan Butter
1/2 Cup Cocoa Powder
1/2 Cup Maple Syrup
1/4 Tsp Peppermint Extract
1/4 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- Cupcakes: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl add the flour, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking powder & soda, and salt. Mix well and make a well in the centre. Add the maple syrup, pumpkin, vanilla, milk, and chocolate chips. Mix well to combine and add to a muffin tin. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Buttercream: Add all ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until smooth, set in fridge until cupcakes have fully cooled to frost.
- Combine: Once the cupcakes have fully cooled, top with the frosting. Top with candy cane bits if desired. Enjoy!
- Keep in a sealed container for 3-5 days.
Leave a Comment